Famous for its horse-drawn carriages and with a cockerel as its provincial emblem, Lampang boasts a long history of human settlements on the Wang River basin, some of which dating back more than 1,000 years. It is rich in archaeological evidence reflecting ancient civilisations of Hariphunchai, Lanna, and Burma.
Lampang Airport (LPT) is currently served by one daily turboprop (ATR-72) flight by Bangkok Airways  from/to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport, with a in Sukhothai. takes less than 1 hour from/to Sukhothai (from 1,600 baht) and around 3 hours, including stopover time, from/to Bangkok (2400 baht and up).
The cheaper option is to take a low-cost flight (Air Asia, One-Two-GO, Nok Air) to Chiang Mai, then to Lampang by bus (see below).
The Northern railway line from Bangkok to Chiang Mai passes through Lampang. As such, there are several trains in either direction every day. The journey from Bangkok takes 10-12 hours; 2nd class air-con sleeper ticket costs 734-804 baht, air-con seat car is 574 baht (both can be booked online ). 2nd class fan sleeper is 150-200 baht cheaper than air-con, but can be booked only at the station.
From Chiang Mai, the journey takes around 2 hours. Express fan car tickets are 23 baht. Air-con car tickets are just over 100 baht and all tickets can be bought at the station only.
There are many buses going from Mo Chit bus terminal in Bangkok to Lampang. Many of those are continuing on to Chiang Mai. First-class air-con bus ticket costs around 400-450 baht, the trip takes 8-9 hours (as such, overnight buses are recommended).
From Chiang Mai (Arcade bus station), buses are very frequent, and it takes just around 1-1.5 hours to get to Lampang. The price is 40-80 baht, depending on bus class. (as at Nov 2010, first-class air-con bus costs 90 baht )
Finally, many buses going from Chiang Mai to various other destinations in central and northeastern Thailand have a stop in Lampang. It is therefore usually possible to board a direct service to get where you need to.
There are no tuk-tuks serving Lampang, so you either rely on the horse-drawn carriages, or on songthaews, which can be hired like a tuk-tuk. If it is not on a fixed route, ask the driver for a price to where you want to go, and make sure that you understand if this is a price for the trip or a price per person.
- Ban Sao Nak (House of Many Pillars)
- Lampang Herb Conservation Assembly 
- National Elephant Institute (formerly the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre) 
- Wat Phra Kaew Don Tao - Temple contains Thailand's second "emerald" Buddha, the other being in Bangkok.
- Traditional Lanna architecture can be found at Wat Phra That Lampang Luang, which situated at the site of the ancient Lampang city. It is famous for its murals from the 19th century. The city seal features a white cockerel in the temple's gate. (It's about 12 km from Lampang town centre.)
- Take a horse carriage ride. 60-200 baht.
SPECIAL TRAVEL DEALS
- Unique Indochina Tour (10D/9N)
- Ha Noi - Full Day Of City Tour (1D)
- Legend Of The North (8D/7N)
- Overall Highlights Of Cambodia (6D 5N)
- Essential Myanmar Tour (8D/7N)
- Best Of Myanmar Tour (13D/12N)
- China Beautiful Landscape Tour (14D 13N)
- Grand Laos Tour Package (6D/5N)
- Essential Vietnam Tour (8D)
- Highlights of Vietnam Tour (11D)
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERERS’ SAY